Local South African Bookies bet dot coza did just that yesterday, yip it’s not a Rugby issue, but it does get interest from us at Oracle Rugby.
Bet.co.za decided that enough was enough and felt it was Race Over in the English Premiership Title race after just 9 games, and it was time to PUT THE RESULT IN AND PAY THE PUNTERS!! on a Manchester City WIN
I think this is a record, especially considering November has just started.
Anyway us punters have seen this many times before, mainly by Irish Bookie Paddy Power having a go at Clinton in the 2016 US Elections, Obama in the 2008 Elections, Arsenal in the 2002/03 English Premiership, Chelsea in the 2005/06 English Premiership, Mayweather v McGregor fight recently and who can ever forget Woods in the 2009 PGA Champs, also the 2015 Greece Referendum, Celtic in the Scottish Premiership 2017/18 and the latest Bet.co.za paying out Manchester City 2017/2018 English Premiership
The reason for this article is to argue the benefits of this type of behaviour and see if any negatives actually exist?
When a punter or the average Joe man in the street hears about this kind of thing, he / she immediately thinks what idiot’s actually do something like this? Anyone who watches Horse Racing in South Africa will know ‘bumpy’ the old guy who commentates at Fairview Race Course on a Friday, well I do not have enough fingers on all my family’s hands to count the number of times I have heard Bumpy call Race Over before the 200m to go mark, so why not a bookie in a longer or even not yet started race?
Firstly before I go through the Pros and Cons of this I will mention that I consider the bookies who pull this off to be of sound mind and if anything EXTREMELY SHREWD
Negatives & Positives will be written and perceived as for the bookie, not the punter, i.e. the opposite will apply for us punters
Negatives (Positives for Punter)
- Get paid out early, no need for the actual result to occur
- Losing book well most of the time!!
- Risk of losing more cash assuming the paid out result does not materialise
- Well that is about it…
Positives (Negatives for Punter)
- Free advertising
- Yes the Sports journalists (Oracle Rugby incl.) will undoubtedly cover the story for nothing
- The ability to earn their loss back in further turnover
- Free Publicity
- You do realise that any publicity is good no matter how bad it seems
- Publicity simply means: notice or attention given to someone or something by the media
- Generate public opinion about the subject…will they actually win or can another team / player beat them?
Anyway, here are some articles on previous early pay-outs…
- Greece referendum 2015
- Bumpy Trumpy US Election 2016
- Celtic (Scottish Premiership 2017/18)
- Mayweather 2017
- Arsenal 2002/2003
- Manchester United 2011/2012
- Manchester City 2017/2017
- Tiger Woods (PGA Champs 2009)
Here are a couple of opinion pieces I managed to source on the net whilst researching today…
Sure we have had others, these are the ones that immediately come to mind and after a small bit of research…Whatever the reasons, good or bad, we at Oracle Rugby applaud the decision makers at these fine establishments, besides if you are going to bet with a bookie, it might as well be one that PAYS OUT EARLY
From Oracle Rugby a big up to those in the corridors of power at Bet.co.za
Tell us what you think by leaving a comment…